Our Instructors are qualified Yachting New Zealand Dinghy coaches.
Lasers Courses - Adults and Young Adults
The October learn to sail sessions for the laser are full! The next Laser learn to sail sessions will be starting in February 2019, with sign ups open now! The registration form is here.
Optimists - Juniors
The next Optimist learn to sail sessions will be starting in October 2018, with sign ups open now! There are only one or two places currently remaining. The registration form is here.
How do I register?
If you are enrolled in the course we recommend that you attend all 6 sessions.
What do I need to bring?
- New trainees will be required to do a 50 m Swimming Test in their first Training session, so please bring a change of clothes for this test. If you need some swimming lessons to achieve this, you can visit the local YMCA swimming pool.
- For sailing, please bring:
- Sneakers, aqua socks, Wetsuit booties or similar to protect your feet on the launching ramp, and for warmth,
- Hat and sunscreen, the sun can be even stronger when reflected off the water, so please be careful to use sunscreen even on a cloudy day. A hat is useful for both sun protection and warmth. Make sure you can tie it down so you do not lose it!
- Warm clothing (thermals) or Wetsuit and a change of clothing and towel. Do not wear jeans or track pants for sailing as these can become heavy and therefore dangerous when wet.
- At the beginning and end of the day juniors and their parent/s are also expected to rig/derig the boats, clean them and assist with stowing them.
- Click here to view training pictures of previous sessions.
The following is a brief outline of key points we will teach you for the Yachting New Zealand Level 1 & 2 sailing curriculum:
- Health and safety (both personal and the boat, eg life jackets, rescues and emergencies)
- Develop basic boat care
- Know the names of basic parts of the boat and rig
- Tie basic knots
- How to rig a boat
- Launch and retrieve boats safely
- Develop basic wind awareness
- Know the basic points of sailing
- Sail upwind, downwind, and reach with control
- Capsize and right boats
- Tack and gybe boats
- Get out of "irons" effectively
- Know the basic sailing rules, including laws of the sea